Who Need a Study Permit?

International students must obtain a study permit in order to pursue education as a full-time student in Canada if the course lasts for more than 6 months.
Students can attend an educational program with a Visitor's visa if the program lasts for six months or less.

General Requirements for a Study Permit and Legal Test

Study Plan

Student visa applicants must demonstrate that his or her genuine intention is to study in Canada and that he/she will return to their home country upon the completion of studies in Canada. Students must have a clear study plan and explain how the educational program meets the students future academic and career goals. It is also important that while drafting a letter of explanation to indicate how you are planning to use the skills and education that you gain in Canada when you return to your home country, etc.

Proof of Funds

Students must demonstrate having sufficient money to cover the first year of tuition fees, travel, insurance and living expenses in Canada. If the student is sponsored by parents or any other organization, the sponsor’s bank statements, letter of support ( confirmation of undertaking) and employment documents must be provided.

Ties to Home Country

Your family, work, bank loans, financial stability and employment in your home country may play a great role to support your application for a Study Permit.

Maintaining Student Status in Canada

You may lose your student status or may have to leave Canada if you don’t meet the number of conditions  as a study permit holder.

As a study permit holder, you must:

  • be actively pursuing your studies, by being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
  • making progress towards completing your program’s courses
  • Inform the immigration office any time you change post-secondary schools

Working While Studying

Working in Canada during your studies will help you to expand your business connections, and gain practical Canadian work experience. As a study permit holder you are allowed to work 20 hours per week and work full- time during school holidays. Your spouse may also apply for an open work permit and work in any field of her or his interest.
There are several ways to work in Canada during your studies.

On-campus work

You may be allowed to work at the campus of your school where you attend classes. You may be able to work at a library, hospital or research centre that is part of the college or university—even if they are not on the campus.

Off-campus work

When you are working off campus, you may be working as a co-op student or as an intern:

  • Part-time with a private business or government department
  • Full-time with a private business or government department

Co-op placements

You may work on or off campus as a part of your educational program.

Most of the degree programs offer co-op placement and allow students to spend 3-4 months ( or more) in a year working in the field of study. This is a great opportunity for international students to gain Canadian work experience.

Students eligible for a  co-op program can apply for a co-op work permit if the employment is specifically related to the study program in Canada.

Students enrolled in language courses or other general interest courses are not eligible for co-op work permit.

Family Members of International Students

In the context of an application to Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship of Canada (IRCC) principal applicant’s ( international student) closest relatives are defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.
Family members of the study permit holder may come to Canada as a Visitor, Student or work by applying for an Open Work Permit.
Here are the initial steps prospective students must take to obtain a study permit:

Study Permit Extension

You can extend your current Study Permit if you have completed your program and have been accepted to another. It is recommended that you apply for an extension 3 to 4 months before your current Study Permit expires for peace of mind.
You can still apply for an extension as long as your Study Permit hasn't expired. The disadvantage of applying close to the Study Permit's expiration date is that you will be placed on "implied status," which means you will be unable to study or work (if permitted by your permit) after your current Study Permit expires. If you stay in Canada after your Study Permit expires for more than 90 days, you will almost certainly be barred from returning for a while. If you have an acceptance letter to continue your studies in Canada, you should return to your home country before the 90-day period expires and reapply.

Post-graduation work permit program (PGWPP)

International Students who have graduated from DLI may apply for a PGWPP and gain Canadian work experience.
While searching for a job, graduates must consider and make sure that the position is in National Occupation Classification ( NOC) skill type 0,A or B. This work experience will be calculated towards the graduate’s application for Canadian permanent residence through one of the Federal or Provincial immigration programs.